See my c.v. for details about forthcoming papers.
- A Campus Fractured: Neoliberalization and the clash of academic democracies in France. Anthropology & Education Quarterly 50(1).
- Two Failures of Left Internationalism: Political Mimesis at French University Counter-Summits, 2010–2011. French Politics, Culture and Society 36(3):143-169.
- Saving the University in France. In Navigating the Volatility of Higher Education: Anthropological and Policy Perspectives, Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, NC. Pp. 199-217. Brian L. Foster, Steven Graham, and Joe Donaldson, eds.
- The Infinite Rounds of the Stubborn: Reparative futures at a French political protest. Cultural Anthropology 31(4):493-519.
- Precarity Outside: The political unconscious of French academic labor. American Ethnologist 43(3):475-487.
- What does the American university stand for? Published 2015 in French translation as "De quoi l'université états-unisienne est-elle le nom." In La dérégulation académique: la construction étatisée des marchés universitaires dans le monde, Editions Syllepse, Paris. Pp. 209-246. Charles Soulié and Christophe Charle, eds. Annael Le Poullennec, trans.
- Comment la pensée se fait monde malgré tout. (How thought becomes world after all). In Frontières e Philosophie: Actes du colloque du Musée d'art moderne de Céret-EPCC (mars 2010), Series Travaux et Documents. Saint-Denis: Université Paris 8. Pp. 277-287. Louise Ferté, Lucie Rey and Patrice Vermeren, eds.
- Experience, reflexive socialization and disciplinary order in anthropology, an introduction to an essay collection on graduate socialization in anthropology, in Michigan Discussions in Anthropology 18, May 2010.
- The limits of theory: idealism, distinction and critical pedagogy in Chicago anthropology, on anthropology graduate theory pedagogy, Michigan Discussions in Anthropology 18, May 2010.
- The silent social order of the theory classroom, Social Epistemology 22(2):165-196.
commentary and short pieces
- Teaching Precarity. Cultural Anthropology — Fieldsights, February 12, 2018.
- Academography and Disciplinary Ethnocentrism, Platypus: The CASTAC Blog, May 2, 2017.
- To Make Ends Possible Again: An Interview with Eli Thorkelson, with Atreyee Majumder. Dialogues, Cultural Anthropology website, Dec. 14, 2016.
- Antiheroism: The underdog's survival tactic. Allegra Laboratory, December 9, 2016.
- Anthropology as trauma and as transformation, in the January 2008 edition of Anthropology News.
- On the socialization of graduate students in anthropology, in the April 2007 edition of Anthropology News.
- Letter to the New York Times about suicides on campus, Dec. 8, 2004.
- Review of The Great Mistake: How We Wrecked Public Universities and How We Can Fix Them, by Christopher Newfield. In Learning and Teaching 10(3), December 2017.
- Review of I Love Learning, I Hate School: An Anthropology of College, by Susan D. Blum. In Academography, September 20, 2017.
- Review of Why There Is No Poststructuralism In France, by Johannes Angermuller. In Critical Inquiry, March 17, 2016.
- Review of The Intimate University: Korean American students and the problems of segregation, by Nancy Abelmann. Learning and Teaching 6(1).
- Review of l'Enseignement Supérieur entre Nouvelle Gestion Publique et Crise Systémique, Annie Vinokur and Carole Sigman, eds. In Learning and Teaching 4(2).
Exploratory talks and papers from before my dissertation work.
- The will to knowledge and cultural crisis in universities, at Rethinking the University, April 2008.
- Marginality, trauma, democratization (and ambivalence): Rethinking graduate education, at the November 2007 AAA Annual Meetings.
- Knowledge as ideology: Lycée philosophy classes and the category of the intellectual, at the Semiotics Workshop in October 2007.
- The case of the Bad Writing Contest: Literary theory as commodity and literary theorists as brands, at Michicagoan in May 2007.