academic talks and papers
- Precarity Outside: The political unconscious of French academic labor. American Ethnologist 43(3):475-487.
- Review of Why There Is No Poststructuralism In France, by Johannes Angermuller. In Critical Inquiry, March 17, 2016.
- What does the American university stand for? Published 2015 in French translation as "De quoi l'université états-unisienne est-elle le nom." In La dérégulation académique: la construction étatisée des marchés universitaires dans le monde, Editions Syllepse, Paris. Pp. 209-246. Charles Soulié and Christophe Charle, eds. Translated by Annael Le Poullennec.
- Review of The Intimate University: Korean American students and the problems of segregation, by Nancy Abelmann. Learning and Teaching 6(1).
- Comment la pensée se fait monde malgré tout. (How thought becomes world after all). In Frontières e Philosophie: Actes du colloque du Musée d'art moderne de Céret-EPCC (mars 2010). Louise Ferté, Lucie Rey and Patrice Vermeren, eds. Pp. 277-287. Series Travaux et Documents. Saint-Denis: Université Paris 8.
- Review of l'Enseignement Supérieur entre Nouvelle Gestion Publique et Crise Systèmique, Annie Vinokur and Carole Sigman, eds. In Learning and Teaching 4(2).
- Experience, reflexive socialization and disciplinary order in anthropology,
an introduction to an essay collection on graduate socialization in anthropology, in Michigan Discussions in Anthropology 18, May 2010.
- The limits of theory: idealism, distinction and critical pedagogy
in Chicago anthropology, on anthropology graduate theory pedagogy, Michigan Discussions in Anthropology 18, May 2010.
- The silent social order of the theory classroom, Social Epistemology 22(2):165-196.
- The will to knowledge and cultural crisis in universities,
at Rethinking the University, April 2008.
- Knowledge as ideology: Lycée philosophy classes and the category of the intellectual, at the Semiotics Workshop in October 2007.
- The case of the Bad Writing Contest: Literary theory as commodity and literary theorists as brands, at Michicagoan in May 2007.
letters and commentary
- Outsourcing not upgrading, a Chicago Maroon op-ed on email outsourcing, Nov. 17, 2009.
- Aiding graduate students, an op-ed on the TA hiring process, May 29, 2009.
- Admitting influence is first step, an op-ed on business influence on campus, Oct. 21, 2008.
- Anthropology as trauma and as transformation,
in the January 2008 edition of Anthropology News.
- Marginality, trauma, democratization (and ambivalence): Rethinking graduate education,
at the November 2007 AAA Annual Meetings.
- On the socialization of graduate students in anthropology,
in the April 2007 edition of Anthropology News.
- Letter to the New York Times about suicides on campus, Dec. 8, 2004.